Friday, September 27, 2013

Frugal Friday: Homework Help, When Parents CAN'T Help


So, it’s the end of September. School has been in full swing for over a month. By now, you've seen those progress reports. You've started getting the questions from your kids. Those questions that make you feel like you are the dumbest adult on the face of the earth. I mean seriously, how do I not understand my kid’s math? Never fear. There are free online options to help you.

Khan Academy is my favorite. The founder of Khan Academy started this as a helpful uncle trying to help his nieces in another state. He recorded tutorials to help the girls. Others began to find them and use them, and the rest is history. I've used it for my family. It has really helped to make sense of high school math and science. I searched for other free tutorial sites. I have to say, they are not easy to find. I found Learn To Be, which allows you to request an online tutor. This could be good if you just need explanation and might need to ask follow up questions.

I was disappointed to see so many only offer “free trials.” I wanted to be able to give you a list of free homework helper sites. Once you have a subject you are struggling to find the correct answer, you will have better luck getting a site that can help you.

You will love Khan Academy. It’s free, no strings, no gimmicks. My kids school has issued iPads and several of the teachers are using Khan Academy in the classroom. Khan offers special sections for teachers to use. It’s all about being frugal. You shouldn’t have to pay for tutorials when there is at least one exceptional tutorial site available. Check it out, let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment