Tuesday, August 20, 2013

CENTSable Beauty: Are Beauty Subscription Boxes Worth It?


Two months ago, I talked myself into subscribing to a beauty box.

A beauty subscription box is a service that charges us a monthly fee for a random bag of beauty items.  There are several out there, all ranging from $10 a month to $50 a month and all with their different pros and cons.  After doing some research on the $10 a month subscriptions (specifically Ipsy Bag and Birch Box), Ipsy one out.

My reasons for this were that although they both had "high end" brands, Ipsy tended to also include either newer/unknown brands (i.e. cheaper) which led to bigger samples or full size samples in the bag.  Birch Box did always have the same amount of items as Ipsy, but they tended to have smaller samples because they were well known and expensive brands.

My first bag came in the mail in July.



The items included were:
Coola Moisturizer with SPF 20
Big Sexy Hair Weather Proof Humidity Resistant Spray
Derma E Microdermabrasion Scrub
BH Cosmetics California Collection Eyeshadow Sample
POP Beauty Pouty Pop Crayon

I really enjoyed the July bag.  I took the hairspray on vacation with me and have already used it up, and the full size lipstick sample was a great product (although, I wish I got a different color).  I haven't had a chance to try the moisturizer and scrub yet, but I've heard good reviews.  None of the samples were too small and will last me a good while.  Plus, the little pink bag in the background was pretty cute.

Last week, I got my second bag!



The items included:
Urban Decay Revolution Lipstick
Pixi Beauty Lash Booster Mascara in Blackest Black
MicaBeauty Eye Shadow in Bronze
Michael Todd Jojoba Charcoal Gentle Exfoliating Facial Scrub
Chella Dazzling Dark Brown Eyebrow Color Pencil

I was even more excited about this bag!  First, I love the purple bag in the background that the products came in.  Second, the eye-pigment in Bronze was beautiful.  I've been wearing it to work every day for the last week.  I've tried Pixi mascara before and like it, so I was happy to get another decent sized sample to last me until I find a good sale.  I haven't had a chance to use the eyebrow pencil yet, although I don't normally fill in my brows and I've heard WONDERFUL things about the Michael Todd line.  The Urban Decay lipstick applied beautifully... but why do they keep giving me the bright fuchsia colors?  I looked like a clown.  The sample did make me want to buy a full size in another color though...

All in all, out of the two months I've received my Ipsy bag, I've more than gotten my $10 out of each bag.  They are sample sizes, but they're deluxe to full size samples of product that retail over $20 each.  If every item in the bags are used, then we get around $50 worth of products to try, plus a bag, for $10.  Even if we don't try everything (anyone want my clown lipstick!?) I've still gotten well over the $10 I've spent of usable products.

Final verdict: I love it.  I'm kind of a cosmetics nerd, so this subscriptions allows me to get 5 new products a month for $10.  I get my fix, and don't go over budget... plus I get some cool higher end products as well!  I can't wait for September!

If you'd like to give Ipsy bag a try, click here for subscription information.

Have you ever tried a beauty subscription box? Let me know in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment