Tuesday, August 6, 2013

CENTSable Beauty: Store Brand Adventures, Family Dollar


Welcome back to CENTSable Beauty, our Frugal Beauty series from the ladies at Auntie M Coupon Training.  Today, we will be taking another look at the good and the bad of store brands. To see our Target Store Brand Adventure, click HERE.

Now, onto the reviews.

Night Firming Cream
Price: $2.00
Grade: F


I really wanted to like this cream.  The first time I applied it, it had an interesting tingling sensation that made me feel like it was working.  Turns out... it was just breaking me out.

Pros:
  • Moisturizing

Cons:
  • Made me break out.  Within a week of using this nightly, I had tiny, under the skin bumps that were not clearing up.  This is not for sensitive skin.
  • I didn't like the scent.  It smelled like basic body lotion, which I wouldn't put on my face.
  • Too thick in consistency.
  • No "Firming" action, or really no benefits to the product.
Clear Hand Soap
Price: $1.25
Grade: B



Bottom line: I would repurchase this product just for the price to quantity ratio.

Pros:
  • This is a BIG bottle for the price.
  • Think formula and no sticky residue.
  • Pleasant Smell

Cons:
  • Didn't work for exceptionally dirty hands (Example, my husband tried to get grease from the car off his hands and NOTHING happened).
Shave Cream for Sensitive Skin
Price: $2
Grade: A



I may be the only person who still uses shave cream (as opposed to shave "gel") but I just prefer it.  Family Dollar did not seem to offer a Shave Gel at my location.

Pros:
  • Foamed Well
  • Spread Well
  • Unscented (or unnoticeable scent)
  • Good size product for the price.
  • Shaved my legs with a new razor and this cream.  Left my legs without a single bump or ingrown.

Cons:
  • No cons worth mentioning.

Foaming Facial Cleanser
Price: $3
Grade: B



This cleanser is supposed to be comparable to the Neutrogena Foaming Cleanser.

Pros:
Left my face feeling clean.
I tested it by using toner after cleansing, and there seemed to be no left over makeup or dirt on the cotton pad.
Unscented or undetectable scent.
No breakouts!

Cons:
Little to no foaming... should just be called "Facial Cleanser."

Oil Free Moisturizer for Sensitive Skin
Price: $3
Grade: A-



This product is comparable to the Neutrogina Oil-Free Moisturizer for Sensitive Skin.

Every once in a while, I find a product that completely surprises me. I bought this knowing it would get an average grade, but I find that I like it even better than the product it is trying to imitate.

Pros:
Very light, but still moisturizing.
No breakouts!  So, it's good for sensitive skin.
No scent or undetectable scent.
Absorbed into my skin very quickly.  I normally wait 10 minutes after moisturizing to start my makeup, but with this product I felt like I didn't have to.  It was set into my skin at least 5 minutes after application.

Cons:
Wish it was a few cents cheaper, just for being an off brand.

No comments:

Post a Comment